As a parent or caretaker of a toddler, you may be after an activity or a toy that engages the toddler in learning or keeps them occupied for several hours. You can simply put on some nursery rhymes on YouTube for them to listen to.
It should keep them occupied for a couple of hours, but does it help in their development in any way? It does, but it most probably just teaches them to pay attention and may teach them to speak and learn about colors. If you have a 2 year old, you will soon probably have to decide on a toy.
Top Three Picks – Best Learning Toys for 2 Year Olds
Getting the best learning toys for 2 year olds may seem like a simple task. It may be easy to just pick up a toddler-proof tablet or a toy by one of the popular brands. But do you really understand how the toys work and how they can stimulate or stagnate a child’s learning ability? Below are three choices of learning toys for you to choose from.
Kidzlane Color Matching Egg Set
The product name gives the toy away. It is a color matching egg set. The purpose of Kidzlane Color Matching Egg Set is to help the infant to match colors and recognize colors and numbers. In theory, it should be an interesting activity as it is likely to stimulate their curiosity and their desire to problem solve.
- Just like real eggs. The toy eggs are similar to real eggs in that they come in a dozen and in a carton. This will help them to make real-life comparisons
- Learn things. The toddler will learn to count, match colors and match holes. These activities will help to improve the use of hands and muscles. Aid in color recognition and fine-tune their motor skills
- Durability. Eggs are usually known for their fragile nature, but this is not the case with these eggs. They are built to last and can be played with and then easily stored away without fear of cracking.
- Easy to use. Don’t worry about your kid not being able to open the eggs. The eggs are relatively easy to open, so you don’t have to worry about them asking you to open it. Soon, they will get the hang of things.
- Counting in circles. The bumps to count are evenly spaced so your kid may not know when to stop counting and they’ll just count in circles. After a while, it tends to be a bit confusing for them
- Supervision needed. As with all toys, it is advised that you supervise your child when they are using this toy.
VTech Drill & Learn Toolbox Toy
Another toy by VTech, a famous educational toy manufacturer. VTech Drill & Learn Toolbox Toy may be handy for your budding handyman or handy girl.
If your child likes puzzles and to put things together, then you should seriously consider getting this rather inexpensive toy for your kid to help them with their learning and building journey. It’s all toys and fake, so you don’t have to worry about your toddler actually drilling a hole in your drywall.
- Can be used for role-play fun. It has an actual electronic tray with a toy drill that works as well as wrench, nails, hammer, and screws. To work the drill, it only requires the use of 2 AA batteries
- Include songs. It has light-up buttons and teaches you about the tools, what they are used for and the sounds that they make.
- Learn more than drilling. There is more to this toolbox than learning how to be handy. The instructions card can help your kids to learn about color and numbers while they pretend to make repairs.
- Not all come with cards. You may be one of the unlucky customers who is not blessed with an instruction card
- Not intended for serious use. This drill is a toy kit and is not intended for serious or active use. Excessive use may cause the tools to break. Also, the drill may have problems staying in forward and reverse modes
- Weird fit. Some of the tools do not fit inside the toolbox, for instance, the drill. This can be very irritating as the drill can be easily separated from the kit and misplaced
Bettroom Wooden Educational Preschool Toddler Toys
If you are a preschool teacher, or a parent, you may love the idea of getting this wooden, educational toy set for your toddler. It is a recognition geometric board that allows the child to stack blocks. The puzzles are chunky and non-toxic, so you have fewer things to worry about when coming to your toddler’s safety and health.
- Early skills development. With Bettroom Wooden Educational Preschool Toddler Toys, from the age of two, your child will develop imagination and their physical and intellectual development will be promoted.
- Coordination. At two, it is important that your child be aware of hand-eye coordination and related movements. This shape toy will help them to develop the motor skills for the movements.
- Safe for use. The blocks are made from non-toxic material. They are also BPA, lead, and phthalate free. The wood is also smooth, so there is no need to worry about splinters bruising your toddler’s hands.
- The toy should be used with supervision. Because the toy contains small parts and children have a tendency to put things in their mouths, the toys should only be used when the toddler is supervised
- Instructions are off. The toy was made in a non-English speaking country so the instructions that appear in English are poorly represented and may be a bit confusing.
A Choice of the Best Learning Toys for 2 Year Olds: Our Pick
All three of the toy options presented are different, but the intention is to promote a learning skill or ability at an early age. It seems as if the Bettroom and the Egg Set, promote more of an independent play and learning than the drill and toolbox does.
However, with the drill and toolbox set, you get to spend more time with your child. The decision, as always is yours to make. But all three, genuinely seem to be good choices.